AssayQuant® Technologies, Inc. delivers innovative enzyme activity assays and Custom Testing Services using patented fluorescence-based sensor technology exclusively licensed from MIT. Our flagship PhosphoSens® assay platform provides a continuous and direct measure of protein kinase or phosphatase activity for > 400 targets. With these tools, we are enabling preclinical drug discovery and development by our clients, allowing them to create breakthrough medicines to treat many devastating diseases.
We are seeking a field-based or on-site Head of Sales to design, build and lead a sales and distributor organization. This person will drive, revenue and profitability growth and acceleration for the Company. This position reports to the President & CEO of the Company. The sales organization will report to the Head of Sales, once hired.
- Rapidly develop and maintain a superior knowledge of Company technology, products, services, capabilities, customers, infrastructure, and strategy, including understanding product and services pricing, cost, and sales history.
- Rapidly develop and maintain a superior knowledge of Company competitors, including their technology, products, services and strategies, and position of the Company regarding how to best compete with such parties.
- Rapidly develop relationships of trust with key customers and develop account strategies for those customers. Once new sales staff are in place, ensure that account strategies are developed for each of the key accounts and segments targeted by those individuals.
- Assist Marketing in developing a Key Opinion Leader (KOL) database, including, as appropriate, including working with the Senior R&D/scientific leadership at Company to establish relationships with such KOL individuals.
- Serve on the Company’s executive leadership team, contributing to strategy discussions, providing input to other functions on problem-solving and other aspects as appropriate; bringing the voice-of-customer to the other functions so as to ensure alignment and clear communication regarding customer needs and challenges with all functions of the Company.
- Collaborate closely with Marketing to ensure that product and service positioning and messaging is fully aligned, identifying opportunities for improvement in such positioning and messaging, and bringing information about competitor behavior and customer perceptions to bear to solve problems and to guide future strategy. Work closely with Marketing to establish and deploy efficient, effective operating mechanisms, utilizing clear communications, to achieve these goals.
- Develop job descriptions, revenue and territory plans and compensation plans for new sales staff, present to management, and, upon approval, recruit, hire, train and deploy such staff. Develop and inspire such staff to achieve or surpass plan.
- Develop and implement a global distributor plan that includes direct sales where appropriate; manage and expand the distributor network, including developing and implementing strategies to optimize profit through these channels. Collaborate closely with other corporate functions in executing these tasks, including especially Marketing, Operations, R&D and Legal.
- Collaborate with Marketing to ensure that the Company is represented appropriately at tradeshows, conferences, seminars, and other networking events, following up on leads to develop sales.
- Collaborate with Marketing to evaluate, develop, propose, get approved, and implement new pricing strategies on a regular basis, bringing voice-of-customer and competitor insights/competitive intelligence to aid in decision-making.
- Ensure that all sales activities of the Company are promptly, accurately, efficiently, and completely recorded, including maintaining up-to-date records in contact relationship management software databases. Prepare financial and other reports as requested by manager.
- Identify and promptly share with the other members of the executive team new ideas for product and service offerings, new market segment opportunities, and other areas related to the potential growth of the Company’s business and profitability, providing feedback to the executive team on a regular basis, with the goal of constantly improving business, including identifying new opportunities.
- Perform all assigned work within established and agreed timelines and budgets, promptly and proactively informing management of any anticipated delays, variances or problems.
- Perform other tasks as needed by the Company.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant scientific field is required; an advanced degree is strongly preferred.
- At least five years’ sales and/or business development experience at a life science tools company that provides products and/or services, with a strong track record for achieving or exceeding sales targets in the drug discovery/drug development market.
- Comprehensive understanding of the drug discovery and development process, including biochemical and cell-based assay development and deployment, candidate library properties, and lead identification, profiling and optimization is essential. A comprehensive understanding of the role that contract research organizations, and that providers of services, reagents, and kits play in this process is essential.
- Comprehensive understanding of the kinase assay market, including vendors, products, services, and technologies in common use is strongly desired. Deep understanding of the key market segments of large, mid-size and small pharma and biopharma companies, government laboratories, and academic laboratories is strongly desired. Existing contacts and established relationships in all of these sectors are desirable, particularly at institutions performing high throughput screening and/or compound profiling on a routine basis and especially at mid-size pharma and biopharma companies.
- Excellent ability to develop global markets, including establishing distribution networks, is strongly desired.
- Exceptional team leader, with proven ability to successfully recruit, motivate, mentor, train, and inspire others. Demonstrated, excellent negotiation and sales skills, financial acumen, ability to close deals/sales, ability to meet revenue and sales plans, ability to develop such plans and lead teams to meet revenue and sales goals and targets are essential.
- Exceptional team player, with proven ability to successfully support the efforts of other (particularly executive) team members and communicate and collaborate effectively cross-function.
- Experience and facility with customer relationship management software is strongly preferred. Superior knowledge of standard business software, including the Microsoft Office software suite, including PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook and the like is required. Strong analytical skills are essential, including data analysis.
- A positive, can-do attitude is essential. Honesty and integrity are critical. Must be able to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds and capabilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential, including via presentations, email, video conferencing and in person. Excellent communication skills with individuals for whom English is a second language is highly desired.
- Must be a self-motivated, highly organized, detail-oriented individual, trustworthy, reliable, and able to work independently with little oversight. A strong desire to learn and excellent problem-solving skills are essential. Excellent personal interaction skills are essential. Excellent, efficient time-management skills are essential. Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality is essential. Must have excellent ability to take direction.
- Ability to travel as needed for work is essential.
Assay Quant Technologies provides a competitive total compensation package that includes health benefits with 100% company-paid medical, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, and employee assistance plan as well as PTO, paid holidays, company stock options, and a 100% company-paid tuition reimbursement program.
Assay Quant Technologies requires all of its employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) for COVID-19 unless a medical or religious exemption is approved. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination.
Assay Quant Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pre-employment background checks will be conducted.